More Ubuntu stuff:
I recently came across a problem where mounting a NTFS partition causes unwanted high CPU usage. Reading up on the internet, including here, here, here and here, I came to the conclusion that this issues might be caused by different components. For me, two tasks/processes caused the problem:
- As described here, I used
sudo lsof /opt/mounted_ntfsto get a glimpse of what is currently accessed on the NTFS partition. As described in the forum discussion, it turned out to be
updatedb.mlocate. A possible workaround is mentioned in the forum: append the NTFS to the
- Trashing larger amounts of files on the NTFS partition seems not to be a good idea. For me,
gvfsd-trashregularly causes CPU Usage to spike - this seems also to be a known problem.
Overall, reading about the problems of the NTFS driver used by Ubuntu, it seems to be wise simply not to use NTFS if possible.
To get LESS (i.e.
lessc), I followed these steps:
- Install NodeJS and NPM:
sudo apt-get install nodejs sudo apt-get install npm
Later, I noticed that the latest NodeJS following the official documentation:
curl -sL https://deb.nodesource.com/setup_6.x | sudo -E bash - sudo apt-get install -y nodejs
- Install LESS:
sudo npm install less
- Compile LESS:
lessc file.less > file.css
Again and again, Netbeans is slowing down my system when background-scanning the open projects. Over the time, I found the following ways to tackle the problem — with a bit of success:
- Close unnecessary projects (especially large ones).
- Move build files and data files outside of the project directory.
- Add build and data directories to the ignored directories using the project properties.
- Untick "Enable auto-scanning of sources" in the Netbeans settings (under Miscellaneous > Files).
More from »Working with Ubuntu«:
- Building Tensorflow in an NFS-mounted
$HOME, CUDA 8.0 Without Manual Driver Installation
- Installing Torch and iTorch, Installing ZeroBrane Studio with Torch Support
- Compress and Split using Nautilus, "Cannot find ang0 in all drives", Cisco VPN Configuration
- mount.ntfs with 100% CPU Usage, Compile LESS on Ubuntu, Background Scanning of Projects in Netbeans
- Installing Jupyter/IPython, Caffe not Finding CUDA, NVIDIDA Login Loop, Monitoring GPU Usage